Sunday, July 29, 2018

They say the sky...

...is bigger there.

So, back from vacation. Arizona sun. Arizona heat. Arizona mountains.

It's weird. You can literally change climates within 2 hours there.

And we did.

I won't bore you with highlights, I'll just say that we really did have a great time. There was so much to do, and even more to see. It was a needed break from reality.

And, you know...there was the pressure cooker atmosphere from family: When are you moving here?

The thought had occurred. But honestly, the dust...the heat...the traffic...the cray tempo of the big cities. I'm not entirely sure it's for me.
Sure, no snow...no butt ass freezing temps, and practically zero pollen does appeal. But at the same time-it just doesn't behoove me to live where the air conditioner runs-every day.
The elevation of the mountain cities wasn't kind to me either. I swelled like a damn balloon. Worse than Florida.
Not sure what the deal is, but my body doesn't like other climates. It just freaks out.

That no grass thing? That's weird too. It all looks so barren...

So as for visiting, sure. I'm game.

To live? I'm not sure that's my jam.

Time will tell when we get closer to retirement, I suppose.

But what happened while I was there...now that's something to write home about.
Well, actually...it happened the day we left.



I got a part in a play. A really cool play. Ray Bradbury, actually.

And 60 people tried out for roles...for 15 parts (not including the extra parts-ensemble, chorus, whatever you call it when it's not a musical)
And I got one.

I'm beyond thrilled.

For many reasons.

1. I grew a pair and actually went through with the audition
2. I am a self doubting weirdo.
3. I, not even for a second, assumed I would get a part...and I did. A good one.
4. Now I can say that I am a doer, and not just a teacher. My students (speechies) will have a deeper respect for me in that respect, as it were.

I'm pretty scared, tbh. But, nothing I can't handle.
Memorization has never been an easy task for me, so learning the lines might be a bit if a challenge and the worry that stagefright will also make me forget-there's that too.

Again...self doubting weirdo.

And the really awesome, albeit surprising thing was the amount of support I got after I announced it at that self-aggrandizing social media shit show.
People were really just fucking brilliant.
Sweet, supportive, wonderful, so many sugar coated descriptives.

And because you spend so much time at the aforementioned shit show above, you often forget that humanity-or at least the small subset of humanity you surround yourself with-are generally good. They really want to see you succeed, do good things, expand yourself (figuratively...not literally...although, I am good at the latter, as we all know)
Fuckin' donuts.

I mean, you see so much of the negativity-even in the real-non computer facing world-(the airport is a great example of douche-fuckery in that vein) but when you see the good stuff, man...I'll tell you what-it's like a little slice of heaven on a chocolate frosted long john.

Speaking of a little slice of heaven-I'm watching Blade Trinity and Ryan Reynolds shirtless as I write. Sorry, I got sidetracked. It's easy when you are seeing what I am. I mean, when it's really hot outside...like retarded hot-like it is in Arizona...my thermostat reads: "Ryan Reynolds"
Nope. Not. Kidding.

Sorry, tangent.

Anyway...faith in humanity restored. People can be awesome. More often they aren't. Typically, they suck.
Last week, they didn't.

I mean, I had no idea that people legit gave a crap about my successes, or my failures.
You get desensitized to everything as you get older...you start caring much less about what people think. But when it's a support thing and a positive high five-y thing. Well, perspective just floors you.

That's nice.

And I'd say that I wish it happened more often, but honestly for me...when it's happening all the time it tends to lack the sincerity factor. It's just a gob more satisfying when it feels heartfelt-even if it is a change of pace.

So, I'll take the occasionals.

Anyway, I'll let you know more as it goes.
It's a new thing...but knowing the theater community as I already do based on my job...I'm sure I'll have many stories to tell down the road. Hang on to your hats, cause it's going to be a funny-ass bumpy ride, kids.

Oh and, no weight loss info to report...I'll weigh in again in a couple of weeks after I get back on track from the splurge that is indulgent vacation. Sigh.
I had desserts, and cocktails. Delicious ones. Now, I have to work backwards to remind my body that we don't want to be a fat pig anymore.
Good times.

Embracing my "thespian" lifestyle
(don't judge)

XOXO

Theater girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment

While I'm Away...

Consider this... Hi, guys. So, as many of you know-and maybe, some who don't-I am currently in the throes of writing my first no...