Sunday, June 10, 2018

For the love of God...

...Let IT GO.

You know a bit about me because I tell you all the stuff here.

One thing you may not know is this: I am a theater buff. I love the Great White Way and all of that.

A little secret...I typically don't care as much for community theater, but try to get out and see a show occasionally.

**Bows my head

I am an evil non-supporter, I know...but it's typically not that great, acting- wise. Here's the thing...we have lovely singers around here, and they also typically get the parts. Also, there's a political aspect to it...all in who ya know, as they say. It's really true here.
What we don't have are a lot of great triple threat performers. Meaning...a lot can sing, but few can act. And the ones that can act can't sing OR dance.
And, while I can deal with a sour note here and there- I loathe a poorly acted play. I don't care if you can sing or not-you could literally shake the walls with your big, booming, singing voice-but if you can't sell me the part...I'm out.

I could potentially piss people off by saying this, but...as per usual, I don't care. I am who I am.

And, I have a bucket list item to actually perform in some community play (not musical) some day-I think I could sell it. But, I have to be choosy because I know my limitations...and therein lies the problem locally.  Most of the community performers in this area....well...they don't. So they take roles that don't suit them, or they try to sing out of their range, or they just phone it in. Not super impressive by any stretch.
As for me, I know what my weaknesses are...and why I haven't just jumped in to an audition.
First off, I can't sing.
I mean, I do OK, but I can't sing to that level. But...give me a bar full of drunk people, a karaoke mic and some Pat Benatar or Lita Ford-and I will kill that shit.
And I can't dance.
I mean, I do OK, but I can't dance at that level. But, give me some spandex and a Zumba YouTube video in my living room and I will kill that spicy Latin flava, ya'll. Ay Carumba.

Have you seen the Disney hippo in the tutu?


This is why I don't do musicals. Period. I weigh over 200 lbs. I really don't have the urge to break the stage while doing a poor imitation of a grand jete.

So, when a play that I have an interest in comes around and I have the time and no vacation plans...the cards will fall and I will audition. Scary stuff.
I have almost pulled the trigger a few times, even picking up a script a time or two...only to cancel the idea and wait for a show I am really passionate about.  I know what I can do, and what I cannot at 47 years old. I could rock a Auntie Rosie part in Mamma Mia (with mediocre singing) and I could KILL the part of M'Lynn or Ouiser Boudreaux in Steel Magnolias...sure. But, I would never try to jump up and play Roxy Hart (Chicago) or Sandy (Grease)
Again, I know my limitations.

Tonight is the theater grande...The Tony Awards. And I am blogging and watching and lamenting the fact that Carousel is even being revived and has many nods. Why? Seriously...a terrible show.
But, that's obviously just my opinion.
And Spongebob Squarepants-The Musical?
Were we really that desperate for good shows that we are digging out of the Nickelodeon file for good material?  Is green slime next? Maybe "You can't do that on Television"-The Musical. Come ON. Let's step it up a bit shall we???
Original plays/musicals have become almost obsolete. And that's kinda sad given that playwrights are typically the most creative people, um...I dunno...On the PLANET.

Now, Angels in America revival...hell yeah. I am hoping for many awards on that front. Mostly because it is ridiculously amazing, well written, and performed. And the subject matter...important. Tony Kushner is one of my favorite playwrights aside from Chris Durang.

And lookie...Nathan Lane just won for Angels. Nice. And a bit later...BEST REVIVAL! Yep yep! Awesome!

But back to the questions about the poor creativity...

I love the fact that Broadway is trying to relate to everyone. They are doing what they think they should to pull an audience they haven't had.
I call this "theater lite"
Plays in the past that have qualified for this moniker:
1. Cats
2. Mamma Mia (which I personally love)
3. ANY Disney adaptation
4. Grease
5. Wicked

These are just a few examples that stick in my mind.
But the 6th one I am going to mention will, I'm sure, have people throwing rotten tomatoes at their computer screens and yelling BOOOOO at full volume.
But, whatever. I'm scrappy. Bring it.

Hamilton.

Yeah, I said it.

Before you react...let me explain-Theater lite is not necessarily a terrible thing. It means exactly what it says...lite brand of theater, non-stuffy, fun for an entire audience. A musical that even those who don't frequent theater would enjoy watching. Good energy, an easy watch.

My point is, I get it. I understand Broadways attempt to take a chunk away from movie goers and draw numbers. An attempt at "hipness" if you will.
Put butts in the theater seats, and not just the multiplex.
But, I think now...it's getting out of hand.
When Spongebob Squarepants is becoming the nominee, or even Mean Girls, and a few years ago...Legally Blonde.
Harry Potter. Which, I adore. But The Cursed Child was a terrible book...not even close to J.K.'s imagination and talent...and it is also a big time showing this year.
No.

We gotta get back to basics.

Last year's The Great Comet was insanely awesome and cool. Decidedly NOT theater lite, based on Tolstoy's insanely long novel-War and Peace. I mean, come ON. The imagination it had to take to turn that dour, long, breathy, wordy amalgam of War and love and triumph-that people were standing hours in line to see. A visual, beautiful, beautifully sung and acted stage...
The book alone was remarkable.
Now that's theater. And what we have to do to get back to less theater lite, and more theater AMAZING.

I think we can do it.

I guess they just have to decide to be true to the craft and less about the cash. Which seldom happens, I know. But, Broadway has mostly always been the rebel baby of the entertainment world. Second to movie stars and reality television. Now is the time to grasp that same integrity and start wowing us with viscerally stunning, well acted, and original plays and musicals. Musicals NOT based on a Disney animated film.

Happy to see that The Band's Visit won best musical. Maybe, just maybe...we are on our way to that. One can only hope.

I'll just leave this as my parting shot:

PS...I didn't make this meme, fyi...it appears I am not the only person who feels this way. Just sayin.

One singular sensation.

XOXO,
Theatergirl.





No comments:

Post a Comment

While I'm Away...

Consider this... Hi, guys. So, as many of you know-and maybe, some who don't-I am currently in the throes of writing my first no...